Sunday, February 9, 2014

Gearing Up

I travel in a Old Town Dirigio 120, she provides a stabile ride and can hold a lot of gear for overnights.

My #1 piece of gear is my new NRS Chinook pfd. I put it on as soon as a arrive at the waters edge and I leave it on till I am off the water. The reasons are simply, first it doesn't work if it is laying in the boat and two since I kayak alone it is my best means of survival. No one is going to help me, except me so I stack the odds in my favor.

So my choice was based on comfort and functionality. I like to fish but did not choice a fishing vest. I liked the Chinook layout best and it is comfortable. It has reflective tape and plenty of pockets. What I carry in it varies slightly but I always have a knife, multi tool, space blanket, whistle and fire starter. The rest varies on who I am with or where I go. Sometimes I have sun block and a power bar or water proof flash light for twilight cruises. Either way wear it, stupid things happen, kayaks flip, rogue rocks appear, people simply slip and fall in the river.

Next I carry various sizes of dry bags, dehydrated foods, jet boil stove, Hennessy Hammock and a sleeping bag. Back up paddle and a few fishing supplies. Let me say that if you hate waking up on the ground aching and sore try a hammock, you will never sleep on the ground again.

I mostly carry water but a bag of wine stores well for those nights sitting at base camp. I also carry a large first aid kit, to big for most people but with my background in healthcare it serves me and anyone that I run into well. Need I mention a towel and change of clothes, para cord and a few small flashlights and a head lamp. 

Lastly a good book.


No comments:

Post a Comment